1.23.2011

A Poem

I haven't shared much of my original writing on this blog in awhile, so I thought today I would share a poem I wrote awhile ago - it's not a lot, but it's one I enjoyed writing.

One thing I've realized about poetry, at least for me, is that I tend to write a lot more poetry when I'm sad or emotional than I do when I'm happy.  I don't really know what that says about me - other than I tend to express myself more through words when I'm down and through actions and interactions when I'm happy.  I need to work on that.  I have a feeling I'm probably a pretty good writer when I'm happy.  I think my characters and all that would be happier, too.

Anyway, I wrote this poem on my way to class one day in college (and I know that was a lot longer ago than I care to admit).  I was in a small group led by my minister, Paul, and we were studying the Psalms.  Our assignment for the week was to mimic a Psalm and write our own.  I have no idea off the top of my head what Psalm I was reading or why I chose to write this, but here it is anyway. (warning:  CHEESY!)

My Psalm
I'm anxious, Lord!
The days go by in quiet confusion.
There's turmoil in my spirit, Lord.
Everything is fighting for my attention.

I want to be content,
This is what You have for me.
I want to be peaceful,
Let Your passion come and fill me.

Breathing deep, Your love engulfs me.
I feel Your hand in all I do.

Hold me tight, Lord.
Embrace me when I'm lonely.
Take my hand, Lord.
Lead me on the path that's holy.

I want to live for You.
I want to be Your child.
I'm here and waiting;
Restless though I am.

Take my life.
Take my fears.
Take me, Lord.
Make me Yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment