5.19.2004

The Typewriter
There is a typewriter in my office. Yes, a real one. It works and everything. Actually, it's one of the later models of typewriters--electric. (but not the kind with the screen where you could type like four lines of text before it actually went to the paper) Sometimes I have to use it and recently I have really enjoyed it. I have become familiar with the sound of the keyboard on my computer and even more familiar with the sound of my laptop at home. And then, I turn on the typewriter, slip in a piece of paper, and I'm...writing. The click of the keys, the need for correction tape, watching all the mistakes I make when I type pile up...it's almost magical! I don't know what it is about the keys, the sound, the DING at the end of a line. More thought goes in to what I type there. I'm slower and more deliberate, because making a mistake takes so much longer to correct. In fact, I'm not even sure we have the means to correct any mistakes made on that machine here. At least, none that I have come across during the great office move. Because it is harder, you have to take your time and really enjoy the moment. And even though the things I use it for (making offering envelopes, labels, the random form) are not that exciting, I get excited to use it. I LIKE IT, OKAY! :) I am a dork, and I am okay with that. If the typewriter in the corner of my office can inspire me, then so be it. I am inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment