1.23.2004

Entry 2

Okay, so Tuesday got away from me before I could write this entry, so here it is, just a little late. The subject?

BIG FISH.
If you have not seen this movie, I highly suggest you stop what you're doing (including reading this blog) and go see it. Find the first showing you can get into and see it. You won't need popcorn or a drink, but I would suggest a box of kleenex. No, it's not that sappy, I guess. It's just powerful. And when I see something like that, it makes me cry. I don't know how long it has been since I've seen a movie that I am completely at a loss of words to try and describe. It's the story of a father and son. The son is trying to figure out his 'real' father since he has told nothing but stories his whole life. Which stories are real? Which are fake? Where did his father really go when he went on his trips? What really happened the day he was born?

It is a movie about love, family, dreams, and knowing that sometimes the truth is just a little bit stranger than fiction. Maybe it's not all perfect, but it's all real to the father...it's just amazing. I would see it again, just for the experience. Tim Burton thinks just far enough outside of the norm to make it interesting and believable. It isn't until the end that you realize just how important the stories are to father and son.

We should all live our lives with the passion the father displays in this film...with the imagination and the belief that the world is bigger, better, and more magical than we can dream...that even the tallest tales have some truth to them...

No comments:

Post a Comment