12.19.2003

gracious
marked by kindness and courtesy, marked by tact and delicacy, characterized by charm, good taste, generosity of spirit

I do not understand why people seem to lack a gracious heart. Sure, we all have our moments where we are not kind and courteous, moments where our spirits are angry and frustrated and we seem to see only the bad things in life, but in our hearts, we are still gracious. However, I believe there are some people that are only able to find their worth and their happiness by making the rest of the world seem inferior to their own 'perfection.' These people hurt me, make me angry, and make me want to tell them just how frustrated I get with their better than everything attitude. However, I know that it would do no good and I would become just another complaint for them to voice loudly to the entire world.

The louder it gets, the more I long for silence. I long for quiet moments when the only thing I need to do is watch the snow fall and curl up under a blanket with a cup of hot cocoa. Instead there is noise everywhere. Loud people talking down the hall, the phones ringing, the sound of a woman talking to herself constantly...the sound of the humidifier and the copy machine and so much noise everywhere...

There is a part of me that just wants to scream, because I know the scream would drown out the rest of the noise. And when I stopped screaming, for a moment, I would hear only silence. But it would only take a moment and then the noise would return, and my complaint would be lost in the hum-drum of the everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment