3.06.2011

Desiderata...And Work...

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Enjoying my achievements is something that is really hard for me.  I am always looking at my to-do list and looking toward the next thing - I rarely celebrate where I've been because I'm too busy looking toward where I have to be next.  But, taking the time to celebrate our successes is really important, because if we don't take the time to do that, then we miss part of the experience.  I was reminded of that this morning, when the whole church got to celebrate the success of all Tim did for the March Madness service.  It was great to see people excited, and to see him taking the moment to breathe in the success of a great morning. There will be something else soon, but he took the time to really enjoy today, and that was good to see.

The second part of this stanza is the dilemma of so many people in my generation and in my position in the world.  Statistics will tell you that we won't be those people who work the same job for 45-40 years.  We won't be the people who retire from our first job, no matter how much we like it or think we'll be there forever.  Instead, we are a generation that will change jobs and careers numerous times - we will risk more and take more chances with jobs that might not be our "forever" jobs.  For me, this stanza is both a reminder and a challenge.

I go through phases where I wonder if I am in the right job, doing the right thing, taking the right risks...and I don't know that the answer to that is always yes, even now.  But it is something I think about a lot.  I think part of keeping interested in your career is to keep challenging yourself with new things, and new projects.  When I get stuck in a rut is when I am least satisfied with my job and my current position at work.  New challenges and projects rekindle the spark and make me feel like I still have something to contribute.  Those ruts are when I have to remind myself that I am lucky to be able to work and to be able to do something, anything, with my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment