2.18.2009

The Written Word

I haven't been blogging much lately, and for good reason. Instead, I have been reading. Those that know me well know that I love to read. I grew up with a book in each hand, and one on the table beside me. I can't remember a time when my mom and step-dad didn't have a book nearby. As a result, reading is one of my passions, one of my hobbies and one of my loves.

For me, there is a place in a book - and it's different in every book - where I suddenly can't put it down. That is the place where I'll gladly stay up for 24 hours, just to know the end of the story. Or, I'll stop talking to people and watching TV and doing anything else, just so I can finish. I love that moment in the story - it's the moment where I'm caught and where the author has successfully transported me from my world to theirs. Some authors are better at this than others. Stephen King, JK Rowling and Lois Lowry create worlds so vastly unique and sweeping that I can't help but immediately feel like a part of the story.

For me, books are like movies. And, when I hit that 'sweet spot' in a book, I can no sooner put it down than I can stop a movie right at the height of the story and just wait until tomorrow to finish.

So, what books have captured my attention and led me to neglecting my blog lately? I checked several out from the library recently, but the two that captured my imagination the most were
Duma Key by Stephen King and City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau.

King has been a favorite of mine for years. Some of his book scare me beyond measure (Bag of Bones still creeps me out) but even the 'horror' of his stories draw me in and make me want to know the rest of the story. Duma Key is scary is some places, but it's more just...haunting...and a really good read!

That City of Ember captured my imagination should come as no surprise to people who know me well. I mean, Young Adult literature is one of my favorite genres! I thought City of Ember echoed my favorite book, The Giver, in a lot of ways. I wasn't sure how I would feel about that at first, but the rest of the story is different enough that it didn't really bother me. I am excited about reading the rest of the series, when and if they are ever available at the local Library.

So, long story short, I haven't been blogging because I've been busy - busy getting lost in a good book. That doesn't mean I don't have things I want to say, it just means I haven't had time to sit down and say them. And I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment