1.26.2009

My mom has the above quote on her fridge. It spoke volumes to her at one point, and lately I've been thinking a lot more about it.

What would I do if I knew I couldn't fail?
I would write & publish.
I would act.
I would go back to school and get that Library Science degree.
I would learn to dance.
I would finally lose the weight I want to lose.

And then I stopped to think about it again. Why was it so easy for me to come up with a list of things I would do if I knew I couldn't fail? And why does failure stop those dreams in their tracks? It's mostly a rejection issue for me.

I would write & publish....But what if I'm rejected at some point (as are all writers).
I would act...But that means auditions and travel and not getting 'the' role.
I would go back to school...But that's expensive...And what if I don't like it?...Or they don't like me?
I would learn to dance...But what if I look ridiculous?
I would lose weight...But what if I can't get to the size I think i should be?...What if I'm just supposed to be heavy?

And, sadly, I realize that I have let the "but what if" statements control my dreams for too long. Maybe I need a magnet that says

What are you willing to try, even if you might fail?

1 comment:

  1. So did you change the title of your blog from "The Journey"? I was looking at the list of blogs on Christian Women Online (looking up mine to see if it was on there). Since my blog is titled "The Journey" I thought I would see what the other "The Journey" is like.

    Funny thing, I see quite a few similarities. I am doing a reading challange (the 9/9/9 challenge which is 81 books.) I also want to lose weight (but who doesn't) and I would like to go back and get more of an education.

    Anyway, just thought I would say hi.

    ReplyDelete