8.21.2013

I'm Risking More...than Yesterday!

One of our recent #StartExp challenges was to really think about a time we failed, write about it, and then let it go. That is not an easy challenge! If you're anything like me, you'd much rather forget your failures or missed opportunities than think about what happened. But, I am determined to take this challenge seriously.

So I thought about it.
And thought some more.
And pondered.
And wondered.
And got sadder.
And got more introspective.

I realized something. I haven't really ever failed - at least not big. Sure, I've made some bad choices, did poorly in some classes, messed up - - but something that I would count as a failure? I was having a really hard time coming up with something. The closest I got was basketball in the 6th grade. There are things I don't do well (sing, dance, sports to name just a few) but totally fail? I don't know. Is my inability to lose weight and keep it off long-term a failure? Maybe. But I'm getting it more and more under control.

And then I realized that I didn't have a good example of failure, which should have been a good feeling. But, it just made me sad because I realized I haven't had an epic failure...but I've also never had an epic risk. My mom said recently that neither of her kids are risk-takers, and I think she's totally right. So then I realized something completely not profound, but shocking to me - my lack of failure is my biggest failure.

The only way I can overcome that is to take bigger risks - so, in that spirit, I am putting my big Start dream out for the world to read right now. Over the course of a few weeks I had several people comment on the fact that they thought I had a nice speaking voice, was well-poised and had a good way of delivering information. I am comfortable in front of a group of people and on stage, and I'm learning to take compliments, so I said thank you and smiled when the first person told me I should figure out how to do voice over work. And then the next person said it. And then another. And then another.

So, here it is. I'm looking into ways to get some voice over work and explore what recording books on CD might look like. I've joined a website for people looking for this kind of work and have researched what a couple different books on CD companies request for possible voice talent. I'm working on what I would include on a demo CD or site and have been practicing voices in the car on my way to work. I'm so excited to pursue some of these things. And, if I fail, please let me fail because I risked big instead of failing because I never risked at all.

Love,

4 comments:

  1. Fellow #StartExp here ;-) I loved this - reading it made me realize I'm pretty much in the same boat...no big failure because of no big risks taken. I'm still determining my big risk to take (in the mean time I'm taking smaller ones). Best of luck to you on your new risk! I hope you find success in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Interesting article.
    Looking to explore the beautiful underwater world while on vacation in Goa? Then look no further than Coral Blue! Our experienced guides will take you to some of the best Scuba Diving in Goa spots, where you can see a variety of colorful fish and coral up close.
    Our Products:
    Grand island Goa Scuba Diving
    Scuba Diving at Grand Island Long Divi
    Grand Island Trip Goa
    grand island boat trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara Omar3:09 PM

    I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Itua told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete