4.24.2012

Q is for Quality

I am definitely someone who values quality over quantity any day. I used to be sad that I didn't have a million friends; then I realized that a few really good friends was way more important. I value time spent with people really important to me once a month instead of hanging out just for the sake of hanging out every day. I value quality writing, quality television and quality people.

Quality to me is about taking the time to be real and to find out who you are and what you really stand for. Quality means investing heavily in the things you believe in and letting some of the lesser things fall away. It means being proud to put your signature on something.

My friend Dan does quality work. Seriously. LOVE him.

In fact, quality is why I stopped my "write once a day every day" challenge last year. I didn't feel like I was putting out stuff that I was proud of; instead I was writing just to write. While part of that may be lack of focus, the other part was just doing something because I "had" to and not because I wanted to or thought it would be good.

So, in short, if you're willing to do something, do it well. Do it with quality or don't do it. The hardest part of my quest for quality is not letting it become a quest for perfection. I can obsess about something to the point of not doing anything, just because I'm afraid it won't live up to my quality expectations. Life is always about balance, isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment