7.14.2008

The Promise

Over the weekend, I finished reading "The Shack." I'm sure most of you have already heard of this book in some form or fashion. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the book, and some of it is probably there for good reason. However, that being said, I LOVED it. I readily admit that there are some parts that made me stop and ponder the theology behind them, but overall, it was a great experience.

I have come to realize that there is a gaping chasm between religion and relationship - and that chasm has been on my heart a lot lately. I have wanted to find a way to bridge the gap between the way the world sees God - the 'religion' - and the way God desires to be revealed in His world - the relationship. This book really made me think more about how to approach the divide and how to help people see the way to the other side.

I am not saying it's the best book ever written. Please do not misunderstand that. But, read with an open heart and open mind, I really think it can make a reader think differently about some things in their life and see that there is more happening and more going on in the world than we could ever imagine.

Honestly, there are like a million quotes in the book I would like to put on my blog. But, here are two of my favorites for you to think about today...

"I am what some would say 'holy, and wholly other than you.' The problem is that many folks try to grasp some sense of who I am by taking the best version of themselves, projecting it to the nth degree, factoring n all the goodness they can perceive, which often isn't much, and then call that God. And while it may seem a noble effort, the truth is that it falls pitifully short of who I really am. I'm not merely the best version of all that you can think of. I am far more than that, above and beyond all that you can ask or think." (p99)

"To begin with, that you can't grasp the wonder of my nature is rather a good thing. Who wants to worship a god who can be fully comprehended, eh? Not much mystery in that." (p101)

2 comments:

  1. i have got to read that book...sounds great...everyone around me is reading it and loving it...better trip it to barnes and noble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this book too!

    ReplyDelete