Here are some sobering facts from the American Cancer Society:
How Many Women Get Breast Cancer?
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States, other than skin cancer. It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.
- About 178,480 women in the United States will be found to have invasive breast cancer in 2007.
- About 40,460 women will die from the disease this year.
- Right now there are about two and a half million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
- The chance of a woman having invasive breast cancer some time during her life is about 1 in 8.
- The chance of dying from breast cancer is about 1 in 35.
- Breast cancer death rates are going down. This is probably the result of finding the cancer earlier and improved treatment.
I know a lot of women. These statistics mean I will know a lot of women in my life who fight breast cancer, who survive breast cancer, and how die from breast cancer. My dream is that that last category will be all but gone in my lifetime.
Go PINK with me this month - wear pink, color pink, support pink - it's more than a color!