5.02.2006

Great Quote

First, I heard this from Liz. Then I saw it on Tyana's blog. Now it is here. I think this may be one of the most moving quotes I have heard in a long time. It is from Akeelah and the Bee, a movie I think I may need to see sooner rather than later.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I do not know a person for whom the above quote would not resonate, would not touch, would not move. It is haunting and beautiful all at once. I think it is a magnificent summation of what I feel at least a few times a week. I never really thought about it in quite the above way, but I still thought about it.

5 comments:

  1. I have heard this before. It's not just from that new movie, but somewhere else. Oh man, now I must know where. Okay, time to search. I'll let you know. :-)

    love meagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I figured it out (not that you need to know, but it was driving me crazy :-). It's from the book "Return to Love" by Marianne Williamson. She's a new age author, quite, ummmm, non-Jesus-centered, but still this quote is indeed powerful.

    love meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting. I don't understand how people that don't believe in God can say such soul-searching and powerful stuff. It's like God is saying, ha ha, i'm here anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, not like He can't use whatever He wants to touch a person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. go see the movie! you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete