4.24.2006

Moved and Moving


Do you know what it's like to stand almost exactly in the middle of over 40,000 people united for a cause? After the weekend, I do, and it is an awesome and amazing feeling. Saturday my mom and I competed in the 15th annual Susan Komen Race for the Cure, a 5K walk/run that raises money for breast cancer prevention, research, and treatment. I thought it would be fun and a good way to spend a Saturday morning with my mom. What it was, however, was almost beyond words. As we began the first part of the walk, all you could see up the hill in front of us were people walking. If you turned around, you saw the same thing...as far as you could see, nothing but thousands of people walking together to make a difference.

My mom was diagnosed in December of 2004 with breast cancer. She's been a survivor since that moment. While I will never forget the phone call that told me she was sick, I will also never forget how beautiful she looked Saturday morning in her pink Survivor shirt, pink boa, and visor. She was radiant amongst a group of people, most of whom have been touched in some way by breast cancer. It was almost impossible not to be touched by the women around you as you walked. Many walked in celebration of survivors; many walked in memory of those that did not survive.

I wish I could put into words the feelings that I felt standing there and watching my mom. I wish I could make sense of the overwhelming emotions that came out of nowhere Saturday morning. Mom and I didn't really talk about it too much--we would cry if we did. We just celebrated the fact that she was there and she was in remission. I cannot imagine how lonely going through a disease like that could feel. I cannot imagine the fears and frustrations and everything else that goes through your mind. But, my mom is strong and she is a survivor. I am always proud of my mother, and was so proud to walk beside her Saturday morning.

One in seven women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their life. That is a staggering number, and one that needs to be taken seriously. The Komen foundation is the fulfillment of a promise between sisters, and they are doing amazing things. If you are ever asked to support this cause, please do so. Chances are you or someone you love deeply will be affected by this in your life, and you will want to do something. If you are able to do a walk, take the time to do it. You will be changed by what happens there.

It was an amazing weekend, overall. Mom and I spent the weekend in the Radisson on the circle in Indy and did some birthday shopping and just hanging out. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment