9.28.2004

I Have Called YOU Friend

...There is so much pain and sorrow in this world. I was reminded of that today during our staff devotions. There is a person here whom I care deeply about who has been going through a very rough time the last several weeks. It wasn't the events that touched my heart as much as his sincerity. I cannot imagine facing his struggles and trials, but somehow I know he will be okay. He is strong, and he is faithful. And, he is a blessing to those of us lucky enough to know him well. There is a deep love and compassion that can only come from being part of a family with someone; and because of God, my family is so much bigger than my parents and siblings. My 'immediate family' consists of every person I work with, every person I speak to, and every person I spend my days with. We are all joined together with a single drop of blood, and we keep each other in the dark times.

The first thing I thought of when he was speaking today was of my friends; the people who know me the best; and what I would do if I lost one of them. Not lost them in the 'we're no longer friends' way, but lost them forever. The hole they would leave in my heart is so big and so deep that I don't know how I would recover. It would only be through the love of my church, my family, and my Best Friend that I would survive to see the rainbow after the rain.

Through all of his tears, there was a glimer of hope. Instead of focusing on the pain, he was seeing the blessing. Instead of falling into the despair he has every right to feel, he is calling out to God and opening himself up to vulnerability. He is sharing himself with us, not because he has to, not because he was told to, but because we're his family.

There are times when it's hard to work in the place you worship. There are times when I get so frustrated with the 'should' and 'should nots' that invade my personality that I want to scream, but days like this bring it all into perspective. Everyone should be so lucky to work with people close enough to be called family.

No comments:

Post a Comment