7.22.2004

It's Alarm/Smoke Detector Testing Day
I just found out that today is the day our sprinklers, alarms, etc get tested.  I understand the need for these tests, trust me.  We're sitting in a huge facility worth a lot of money and the church has already suffered one fire (in the old building...almost gutted it), but I'll be honest.  This is NOT my favorite day of the year.  Why, you say?  Because to test them, they have to clean out the sprinkler system, which makes it smell like sulfer, rotten eggs, and vomit in here.  Then they turn the alarms--the really loud obnoxious alarms--on and off all day testing different systems.  So, today is going to be interesting. :)

Not a lot else going on in my world.  My family left at the crack of dawn this morning for vacation.  It's very strange to know they're on a plane flying to Seattle and I'm still just sitting here.  I guess this means I am really a grown up now.  I'm excited about New York in October and excited about hearing about their trip, but it will still be kind of strange.  Mom did get a cell-hone, though.  That's a good thing.   Two years ago we went to Washington DC for family vacation.  We're on the really under construction Pennsylvania Turnpike (in the left lane) when yeah, the transmission dies in the van.  We get it to the other side of the road and lo and behold, there we are.  I had my cell, so we were able to call for help, which is a good thing.  Otherwise, we would have been screwed.  As it was, we sat there in the August heat listening to the semis speed by and inhaling all of those lovely fumes for like 3 hours.  I can only imagine what it would have been like had we not been able to find a towing company open on a Sunday and get a rental car.  It was nuts.  SO yeah, with them driving this car back from Seattle, I feel much better knowing they have some way of communication in the event something rough happens.

Tessa and Korry are getting married in a little more than 48 hours.  3:30 on Saturday to be exact.  I'm very excited for them.  I adore them both and know they're 'made for each other' as it were.  They are going to have a great life and a great support system and I am so glad I will be there to witness it all. 

gathering 6:29 begins again in a couple weeks.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Part of me is excited, but part of me isn't.  I got so burned out with it last year, I'm not sure I'm ready for it to start up again.  I need to figure out how involved I want to be, I guess.  That will make a difference.  It's a service geared for the post-modern generation, but became a lot like youth group.  I know they want to remedy that and make some changes, but I just don't know how possible that is.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see, right?

Not a lot else.  Just hanging out and trying to stay awake.  For some reason I'm exhausted.  I think I'm fighting a cold or something.  As nuts as the weather has been (inside and out--my office could double for the SOCC morgue somedays), it wouldn't surprise me in the least.  And my stomach is making some FREAKY noises :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment