2.27.2004

Let Me Be Honest
I am more than a little apprehensive about going to see The Passion of the Christ on Sunday. I am going with my church, which will be good, but I am also very nervous about it. Everyone I have talked to or had any sort of communication with about the movie has had such a...powerful...reaction, I just don't know how I am going to handle it. These are people I look to, people I love, people I trust...and they are people that understand the depth of emotion I feel on a fairly regular basis. I think this says it all. My prayer as I go into this movie is that I am changed, that I am never the same again, that there is something so real and so powerful about what happens that it cannot be denied.

I find it very interesting that the ENTIRE country is talking about this movie. People are passionate about the "Passion" one way or another. I think it's great. I think we shy away from honest discourse on Christianity quite often. For some reason it reminds me of the West Wing...there was an episode about being willing to raise the level of public discourse in the country, no matter what the results...this is the quote:

"Listen up. Our ground game isn't working. We're going to put the ball in the air. If we're going to walk into walls, I want us running into 'em full speed. We're going to lose some of these battles. We might even lose the White House. But we're not going to be threatened by issues. We're going to put them front and center. We're going to raise the level of public debate in this country. And let that be our legacy."

I think it should be the legacy of every Christian to be willing to stand up and put the real issue--the deity of Christ and the promise of eternity--front and center. That way, when we meet Him face to face, we will hear the words our very souls long to hear--"Well done, my good and faithful servant..."

No comments:

Post a Comment