6.26.2013

Before 40


On Sunday night, I watched with the rest of the world as Nik Wallenda did the crazy and spectacular - traversing the Grand Canyon on a tightrope without a safety net. I was terrified for him, in awe of him and amazed by him. The feat in and of itself was brain-defying, but more than that, I was amazed that he had dreamed this dream his entire life and finally did it.  And, it got me to thinking - what have I been dreaming about but have never done?

What experiences am I letting go by because I'm not brave enough to step out on that rope? What am I not trusting enough, believing enough, doing enough?  The answers are hard, that's for sure. But, in the spirit of my One Word and in honor of doing the impossible, I've composed this list of things I'd like to do before I turn 40. (I was going to call it my 40 before 40 list...but that's a lot of things. We'll see how long it gets.) These are no in particular order and this list may grow.
  1. Publish a story (fiction or non) in a magazine or journal
  2. Complete and submit a novel for publication
  3. Be paid to act somewhere
  4. Re-learn Spanish and become fluent
  5. Learn sign language
  6. Speak at a conference
  7. See the Grand Canyon
  8. Go to Hawaii
  9. Read all the books that have won the Newbery medal
  10. Attend Book Expo America
  11. Lose another 20 pounds
  12. Run a 5K
  13. Walk a half-marathon
  14. Travel to Europe
  15. Visit friends moving to Africa while they're there
  16. Drive the Pacific Coast Highway
  17. Be debt-free
  18. Learn to knit and make something for myself
  19. Go to New York at Christmas-time
  20. Have a home with a big library in it
  21. Become a red-head, even if just for a short while
  22. Buy a fabulous red dress and have professional photos done
  23. Learn how to do amazing eye makeup
  24. Direct a play again
  25. Meet Stephen King (hey, it's MY dream list!)
  26. Read the entire Bible
  27. Take the train somewhere
  28. Hike in Arches National Park
  29. ....




No comments:

Post a Comment