9.22.2009

One of the Lucky Ones

Sometimes I forget just how good I have it. Anyone who reads my blog with any regularity knows that I adore my family - my mom, step dad and little brother are awesome. I am gratefully reconnecting with my sister, step mom and other brothers. Thanks to facebook, I am catching up with family and cousins I haven't spoken to in close to 20 years, probably.

But, there is another side of my family - the side I was 'adopted' into when Tim and I got married. Everyone has heard those stories of horrible in laws and how hard it is to spend time with them, etc. Well, for me, life couldn't be more the opposite.

I adore my in laws. I love my father-in-law and mother-in-law. I love my brother-in-law, his family and the extended family I now have through Tim. They make me laugh, make me smile and make me feel like I've always been part of their family. In fact, never once have I felt awkward around my MIL or FIL. From the very first time Tim took me home, they made me feel welcome and accepted.

Visiting them is not a chore at all for me. In fact, it's something I just love to do. Last Saturday, Tim and I were able to go spend a few hours with his parents. It wasn't anything "special" per se, but it was just so nice to sit there and enjoy them. The only sad part for me was that we had to leave and come back to Bloomington so quickly. It made me sad and made me wish we lived closer to them so we could hang out more. Maybe it's the distance that makes me appreciate them so much, but it really did make me think about our future and where Tim and I will end up. We don't want to move much farther north (someday, if we move) because neither of us are big fans of winter. So, we'll probably move south. And, if we're moving anyway, I would love to be closer to family. Our family. Because I don't feel like their his family anymore. Their ours.

Will that happen? Who knows. There are houses and jobs and careers and ambitions and a million other things that would have to fall into place all at the same time. But, there is the glimmer of a dream - to be close to people we love all the time - that makes my heart smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment